07 June 2018, Posted by Tony Sheer
It’s almost that time of year again – Sovereign Hill’s 2018 Winter Wonderlights festival is scheduled to run from Saturday June 30 until Sunday July 22, just in time for school holidays. During the day, be delighted by the Christmas trees and colourful decorations lining the Main Street. Once the sun goes down, the street will be transformed by grand-scale images and bright Wonderlights.
The Winter Wonderlights program for 2018 includes:
- A Christmas Carol – Enjoy a lively reading of Charles Dickens’ popular story – perfect for young and old alike. Held daily at 5 pm in the Victoria Theatre.
- A Visit from St Nick – The traditional Christmas tale as told through poetry and amazing Victorian shadow puppets. Held daily at 1:30 pm in the Victoria Theatre.
- Brass Band – Our old-fashioned brass ensemble will play some of your favourite Christmas carols, as well as a few you may not know. Held daily at 4 pm in the Main Street.
- Craft Activities – Make something special to take home, such as a gingerbread man or even a miner’s cottage. Held daily from 11 am to 6:30 pm in the Marquee.
- Emperors New Clothes – Hans Christian Anderson’s timeless story about the dangers of pride and vanity. Held daily at 12:45 pm and 3:15 pm in the Victoria Theatre.
- Little Red Robin Hood – This pantomime combines the tales of Little Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood. Held daily at 11 am, 2:15 pm and 4 pm in the Victoria Theatre.
- Master of Magic – Let ‘The Amazing Barry’ mystify you and transport you into the unknown with his dazzling magic tricks. Held daily from 2:30 pm until 5:30 pm in the Marquee.
- Meet the Goldfields Animals – Did you know that plenty of animals lived on the goldfields? Our handlers will introduce you! Held daily at 12:30 pm – meet at the Pig Pen.
- Redcoat Soldiers – Watch as the Redcoats march, perform drills and even fire their muskets. Held daily at 1 pm and 3:45 pm on the Victoria Theatre balcony.
- Snowfalls – Watch as Sovereign Hill is turned into a snowy winter wonderland! Held daily at 11:45 am, 1:15 pm, 3:30 pm and 5:45 pm in the Main Street.
- St Nicholas Old Horse – A typical nonsense play in the old tradition of travelling performers – silliness and fun will ensue. Held daily at 12noon in the Victoria Theatre.
- Winter Wonderlights – Once it gets dark, watch as the Main Street is lit up with grand-scale Christmas imagery. Held daily between 5:45 pm and 7 pm (times vary due to darkness).
Sovereign Hill is open daily from 10 am to 7 pm; entry to the Christmas in July and Winter Wonderlights events are included in your ticket prices. Adults cost $61, concessions cost $48.80, children (5-15) cost $27.60 and children under 5 are free. Sovereign Hill members can access the festivities for free.
As you could spend the whole day wandering the attraction, we highly recommend making a weekend of it. The Ballarat Budget Motel offers comfortable accommodation at affordable prices, and is only 10 minutes drive from Sovereign Hill. Be sure to book early to avoid disappointment.